Well, um, it’s August. I swear, 2014 just started, now look where we are. With the year being so far in, I thought I’d make a note of all the stuff I’ve actually gotten done.
This year has been one unlike any other really. I haven’t been to school at all since December and I’ve been dealing with depression for nearly all of that. It hasn’t been easy but it’s getting better.
- Started posting Podunk and have been pretty good about keeping it up.
- Was an actor in my friend’s 24 hour film… the only actor really. ("Save Face" by Thomas Ostrowski.)
- Got a portfolio review from Jim Miller (storyboard artist on Ed, Edd ‘n Eddy and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic) and got nice things said about my work.
- Got another portfolio review that earned me some scholarships.
- Was accepted to another college after a falling out with my last one.
- Made a mini comic (Get the Girl!)
- Went to TCAF! Had an amazing time in Toronto with my amazing friends, Kryston and Austin. Met some of my cartooning idols, bought many books, went to a bar (too shy to buy an actual alcoholic beverage), handed out minis and had an incredible experience!
- Got a new phone and started paying for it myself. (My parents had paid for everything and it was about time I started to get a little more independent and pay for my own darn phone.)
- Had a table at the local comic shop for Free Comic Book Day and drew sketches for little kids for about 5 hours straight.
- Tabled at the local comic con with Elise, premiering the first chapter of Podunk.
- Printed a 24 page comic book!
- Went to Kids Read Comics with Elise!
- Told a friend that I wanted to do a comic based on one drawing he had done and now we’re looking to start production this winter. (Seriously, it sounds like so much fun.)
- Made some more super cool friends because really, I call that an accomplishment any day of the week.
- Had a comic strip printed in the comic edition of the school paper before I had actually attended class there.
- Got a decent paying freelance gig that will help out with a lot of expenses for things.
- Was awarded additional grants and prizes for school.
- Got my car more fixed so it’ll last a little longer hopefully.
- Spent more time with my little brothers and sister.
- Told my mom I wanted to see a doctor for my depression and went on medication. (It’s so not as easy as it sounds.)
Aaaand I can’t really remember the rest. I just think it’s really important to remember and be thankful for all of the amazing things you get to do in a year even if some super crummy stuff happens.